What is dermatology?
Dermatology is the type of medicine that is associated with skin disorders. A dermatologist is a specialist medical doctor who manages diseases related to skin, hair, and nails. Dermatology is so vital because the skin is the largest organ of the body, that covers and protects all the other organs in the body. We want to keep our skin the healthiest it can be!
What are some dermatologic conditions?
Different conditions related to the hair, skin, and nails are extremely common. The affect almost everyone at some point in their life. Every individual may vary based on symptom and severity. Some of the most common dermatologic conditions are:
- acne: pimples
- dermatitis: swollen, red, sore skin caused by an irritant or allergy
- eczema: rough, inflamed skin
- fungal infections
- warts: small, hard growth on the skin caused by a virus
- cold sore: inflamed blister near the mouth caused by herpes
- skin cancer: uncontrolled growth of skin cells
- and so many more
What are some dermatology therapies & procedures?
There are several types of dermatology therapies that can be used to treat skin conditions. These can include:
- topical medications
- systematic medications
- dermatopathology: combines dermatology and pathology
- immunotherapy: treating a disease by activating or suppressing the immune system
- photodynamic therapy: combines light and a photosensitizer
- phototherapy: bright, UV lights on your exposed skin
- laser therapy: low-level lasers
- radiotherapy: another term for radiation
- Electrosurgery: high-frequency electric current that cuts or destroys tissue
- Cryosurgery: extreme cold that freezes or destroys tissue
- Laser surgery: special light beams
- Excision surgery: scalpel to remove tissue
- Mohs surgery: layer-by-layer removal of cancer cells from skin
When should you contact your doctor or pharmacist?
It is important to take all skin conditions seriously and treatment them right away. Each individual will have different symptoms to varying degrees so it is important to make sure you find what is right for you!
Preston’s Pharmacy offers a variety of over-the-counter, prescription, and compounded medications! Reach out today to learn more about products for your skin and what we have to offer! Follow along on Preston’s Dermatology page for the all information!