What is medical weight loss?
Millions of people try to do everything possible to loss weight on their own, but fail. Some individuals may lose the weight, to just gain it right back. After trying the gym, diet, and changing your lifestyle, many people look to medical weight loss. Coinciding with the gym, diet, and lifestyle changes, an individualized program, including medication, is created by a trained medical professional. Exams and testing is also used to identify any medical conditions or hormone imbalances that may be hindering weight loss. The goal of medical weight loss is to provide the treatment and guidance necessary to help you achieve safe weight loss and maintain it for life.
What does a medical weight loss program consist of?
Medical weight loss programs were created because obesity is a condition that one of the leading causes of heart disease in the nation. Medical weight loss usually refers to the proactive management of diet, fitness, and healthy behaviors conducted by a physician. These programs often include comprehensive metabolic testing to monitor physiological shifts during the course of a program. They also help those having trouble controlling their cravings and eating habits.
While there are dozens of medical weight loss programs to choose from, it’s important to evaluate and ultimately select a program that delivers a profound opportunity to encourage and maintain healthy lifestyle change.
What are the benefits of medical weight loss?
When participating in a medical weight loss program, many of the challenges initially faced, like diet and lifestyle choices, are addressed. These challenges may include hormone imbalances, your resting heart rate, and caloric limit. Working with a medical weight loss professional allows you to find the tools that best work for you. For example, if your weight loss begins to plateau, the weight loss professional will have personalized health and program adjustments.
Some advantages of include:
- Individuals in a medical weight loss program can lose 3%-5% more weight than individuals on their own weight loss program.
- Weight loss medication leads to greater weight loss and more successful maintenance, when paired with lifestyle changes.
- Medical weight loss can also improve other medical issues, such a sleep apnea, and decrease medical markers that indicate the beginnings of chronic illnesses.
- When losing weight under the supervision of a physician, you have more access to treatments and referrals that result in better, more effective treatments.
- Semaglutide, (Wegovy and Ozempic)
- Liraglutide (Saxenda)